An easy way to change the overall look of a space is to switch out your light fixtures. No matter what room you’re wanting to change–bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, living room, etc.–switching out your light fixtures will give the space a whole new look. Many homeowners don’t realize that places like Lowe’s actually have relatively inexpensive, large wide variety of lights available. To see what Lowe’s has to offer, click here. To see some of our favorite creative lighting options, click to see our Pinterest board here.
To replace a light fixture, follow these steps:
1. Remove the old fixture. In your main electrical panel, turn off the electricity for the area you’re replacing the light in. Remove the bulb from the fixture, and then detach the fixture base from the wall.
2. Unscrew the screws or nuts holding the fixture base to the ceiling.
3. Lower the fixture base and remove the wire nuts from the black, white, and (if present) green wires.
4. Attach the wires from the new fixture with wire nuts to the corresponding wires in the electrical box.
5. Raise and position the new base plate so that you can screw in the new nuts and bolts through it to attach it to the mounting strap.
6. Screw in your new light bulbs, attach the cover, and turn the electricity back on!